August 23, 2005 10:31 PM PST
Google's answer to Skype.Google Talk
. I'm using it now; initial review:
- Supports voice and IM
- It docks in the new Google sidebar
- It only supports a single person in the conversation at once (for now)
- It does "gmail notifier", so your new gmail pops up.
- Very simple interface (a good thing), 900KB download, low cpu and 12MB memory usage in active conversation.
- Currently doesn't appear to support file transfer.
- It's not clear that the conversations or IMs are secure.
- It uses Jabber and SIP under the hood. The API is open and looks very extensible
- Supports a "snap-to" windows interface, like Skype. Handy.
So currently, Skype has more features, but more frustrations. I would imagine Google will catch up. This actually leaves Skype as a good acquisition target from Yahoo or Microsoft. Or InfoSpace, the 0.5% search leader. :-)